You can find various articles and discussions on the Internet about how a protein diet provides fast weight loss.
Are dietary proteins the key to sustainable weight loss? Is a protein diet at home effective for weight loss?
The essence and principles of protein content
First, let's look at what protein is. As the name suggests, it is based on high protein intake, and the diet is low in fat and carbohydrates. By removing carbohydrates from the menu, the body enters a state of ketosis, which is characterized by increased levels of ketone bodies in the blood (toxic substances).
Ketosis can also occur in uncontrolled diabetes or in a healthy person, such as after prolonged fasting, leading to depletion of glycogen, which results in proteins or, better, energy in the body becoming a source of energy.
3 stages of protein content
A protein diet is divided into 3 periods of equal duration:
- Stage 1- onset of metabolism, onset of noticeable weight loss.
- Section 2- to continue the breakdown of fat reserves.
- Stage 3- preparing for a return to a normal, balanced diet.
When following a protein diet, it is very important to go through all 3 stages. This ensures that the new weight is maintained after completing the diet and that the jo-jo effect is prevented. By performing these steps, your body is ready for a gradual return to a healthy, balanced diet. It is important to gradually increase the carbohydrate content of the menu so that the body gets used to it and learns to absorb it again.
The 3 steps to a protein diet for weight loss assume roughly the next meal calculation.
Step 1 - Fast Weight Loss:
- 5 protein foods / drinks per day;
- + not more than 400 g of permitted vegetables;
- + healthy fats.
Step 2 - Weight Stabilization:
- 4 protein foods / drinks per day;
- + approx. 500 g allowed vegetables and fruits;
- + healthy fats.
Step 3 - Return to a balanced diet:
- 2 protein foods / drinks per day;
- + about 700 g of allowed vegetables and fruits;
- + healthy fats.
Permitted and Forbidden Protein Diets
Before we start cooking, let’s look at what you can eat on a protein diet and what you need to give up.
Make a clear list of foods, including permitted and prohibited foods in the protein diet, on the refrigerator. When preparing foods, do not use foods that have no place in the diet.
What to eat with a protein diet:
- lean meat;
- smoked products (lean ham only);
- milk and milk products (yoghurt, cheese, cottage cheese, butter, etc. );
- soya and products thereof (tofu, tempeh);
- most vegetables, some fruits;
- herbs and spices.
- special protein products (mixtures, chopsticks, cereals, cocktails).
List of prohibited foods (protein menu for weight loss does not include them at all:
- legumes and rice;
- fatty meat;
- sweet vegetables and fruits;
- fried foods;
- sweetened beverages;
How to choose a protein drink?
The weekly protein menu allows you to consume protein drinks. They are not like special slimming cocktails. On the contrary, they are effective in combination with dietary restrictions and exercise. Moreover, they are much cheaper and even finer.
Unflavoured protein drinks are acceptable. Different flavors are also available, allowing everyone to choose the right product (fruit flavor, chocolate, vanilla). The aroma should not affect the price of the drink.
How to choose meat for a protein diet?
Meat is the main ingredient in a protein diet. But this does not mean that a large number of different types of meat are allowed. It should be lean with no greasy parts.
Poultry, freshwater and saltwater fish are the best choices on a protein diet menu. Lean beef, veal, lamb are suitable.
A protein diet allows you to use the following types of meat:
- fish (sea bass, salmon, trout, pike, eel, shark, cod, tuna).
The diet of dietary protein foods does not include sausages and similar products full of fats, salt, preservatives. Only pure lean ham is allowed. The fish should always be fresh, not smoked, not canned.
Cooking is also important in a protein diet. Baking is not desirable. The meat is cooked or steamed. Good cooking facilities on the grill. Not sure where to start? Try salmon stew, chicken breast stew and beef patty.
This is the next diet in the protein diet. You can cook a lot of food from eggs (scrambled eggs, fried eggs, soft-boiled eggs, hard-boiled).
Protein promotes fat loss and muscle growth. Its yolk contains important nutrients, iron, phosphorus, zinc, folic acid, vitamins A, B, D, E and K.
Milk and dairy products
Milk itself and dairy products are excellent sources of protein found in recipes for a protein-rich diet. Do not use skimmed milk, but rather eat good quality fatty foods. A little "extra" fat won't hurt you.
There are many dairy products to choose from for your dieting protein diet every day. It provides a variety of diets and food enjoyment.
A protein diet can be fortified with goat's milk and the following foods:
- fermented dairy products, especially kefir;
- white yogurt;
- cottage cheese;
- various cheeses;
Vegetables, Fruits, Herbs and Spices
There is a risk of vitamin and mineral deficiencies in a protein diet. Therefore, it is important to include enough vegetables in your diet. The most suitable vegetables are low in sugar, while sweets (carrots, peas, turnips, corn, beets) have less or no dietary intake. The same goes for sweet fruits.
A protein weight loss diet may include the following high-protein vegetables:
- celery stalk;
- green beans;
- arugula is excellent;
- tomatoes (only 1 per day);
- soybean sprouts.
Protein Content: Pros and Cons
Many protein diet companies offer protein foods that mimic a lot of money. These are instant products that the consumer does not have to cook. The powder can be used, for example, to make pasta-like dishes. But it has nothing to do with pasta, it’s a mass of protein.
If the principle of dietary protein is followed for a short time (usually a protein diet is calculated for one week), it does not pose a threat to the majority of healthy people. But there are no long-term scientific studies to support its overall efficacy and safety.
What does a protein diet provide?
Key benefits of protein content:
- regular meals - divided into 5-6 meals a day;
- rapid weight loss from removing excess water from the body;
- loss of appetite (the result of increased protein intake);
- a sufficient amount of total protein;
- Eat healthy food.
Harm and contraindications: who should not lose weight on a fast protein diet?
Every diet has its own characteristics and contraindications. Protein diet is no exception:
- is a relatively monotonous menu - the dishes are constantly repeated (in contrast, especially from a seven- or 3-day protein diet);
- psychological effect - strong will is required to reject certain products;
- lack of important nutrients due to lack of certain foods (especially fiber, vitamins and minerals, especially calcium);
- increased risk of kidney disease - excessive protein intake damages the kidneys, increases the risk of kidney failure;
- increased risk of colon cancer due to excessive meat consumption;
- increased risk of cardiovascular disease - diet associated with excessive consumption of fat (especially animals) and cholesterol;
- high probability of yo-jo effect;
- with long-term observation - the risk of developing gout (that’s why the weight-loss protein diet menu was developed for a week, no longer).
Serious contraindications to following a protein meal plan include:
- chronic liver and kidney disease;
- insulin-dependent diabetes;
- recent myocardial infarction;
- severe arrhythmias;
- Pregnancy or breast-feeding.
Relative contraindications (need for increased medical supervision) are gout, less severe arrhythmias.
diet therapy can also be effective, but significant weight loss (over 10 kg) requires supervision by a doctor or an experienced nutritionist.
Protein 1 Diet Menu Week 1 (7 Days)
The biggest point of attachment to your home weight loss protein diet is the weekly menu. How to cook so that the relatively strict meal plan is not stenciled? The daily alternation of small amounts of lean meat, eggs, milk and white yogurt is not a very attractive aspect.
Someone welcomes a menu of protein-rich diets for weight loss with recipes characterized by relative monotony. It gives the body everything to lose weight without having to invent new foods. For other people, diversity is critical. The detailed protein slimming menu below is suitable for both groups of people.
- Breakfast: 2 eggs (fried eggs), cucumber.
- Snack # 1: Cheesecake with nuts.
- Lunch: fried chicken with vegetables and cheese.
- Snack # 2: Yogurt Drink.
- Dinner: salad with goat cheese and walnuts.
- Breakfast: quality ham, eggs, vegetables.
- Snack # 1: Fatty white yogurt with cashews.
- Lunch: roast duck breast with cabbage.
- 2nd afternoon snack: carrot with cottage cheese.
- Dinner: Greek salad.
- Breakfast: protein slices, cheese.
- Snack # 1: ham rolls with horseradish and cucumber.
- Lunch: chicken breast with wine.
- Snack # 2: Celery with cheese.
- Dinner: Zucchini pasta with cheese and chicken.
- Breakfast: cheese, pepper.
- Snack # 1: Yogurt smoothie with vanilla.
- Lunch: broccoli pudding with cheese, vegetable salad.
- Snack # 2: 2 eggs, tomatoes.
- Dinner: salad with smoked tempeh and dried tomatoes.
- Breakfast: chia pudding with Dutch cocoa and banana.
- Snack # 1: Vegetable Salad with Cheese.
- Lunch: turkey, cheese, pumpkin puree.
- 2nd afternoon snack: cottage cheese, cucumber.
- Dinner: salad with avocado and walnuts.
- Breakfast: ham, pepper.
- Snack # 1: Acidophilic Milk.
- Lunch: meatballs with vegetable salad and mustard.
- Snack # 2: Flourless nut cake.
- Dinner: salad with tuna, olives and onions.
- Breakfast: cheesecake with coconut.
- 1st afternoon snack: greasy white yogurt with flax seeds.
- Lunch: fried salmon, broccoli.
- Snack # 2: Avocado, Handful of Walnuts.
- Dinner: egg omelette with mozzarella, vegetable salad.
Fast protein content for 3 days
A three-day meal plan is less varied than a weekly protein diet recipe menu (however, for women, this is a plus as there is no need to cook different foods). It consists of a one-day menu that is repeated for 3 days:
- Breakfast: cottage cheese with onions and tomatoes.
- Snack # 1: White yogurt.
- Lunch: vegetables.
- Snack # 2: 2 eggs.
- Dinner: fish fillet, vegetable salad.
How to prepare food?
Vegetables can be eaten raw or cooked. Cooked or steamed vegetables are ideal. This allows you to make not only various salads with white yogurt, oil, vinegar dressing, but also vegetable soups, thick soups (such as Pho-bo soup, but without rice noodles).
Spices can be used in the usual way on a protein diet. Mustard, fresh onions and garlic should be used in limited quantities. All types of dried spices (including garlic and onions), lemon juice are allowed. The best solution is fresh and dried herbs that add flavor and flavor to your food.
A good way to diversify your diet is to use a combination of fresh vegetables and boiled eggs. This helps you prepare foods rich in protein, vitamins and minerals. Simply chop the vegetables and put the starched eggs into the quarters. You can use oil, vinegar and herbs for seasoning. This dish is great for dinner.
5 tips for cooking healthy eggs:
- The omelette is a great breakfast. You can add a piece of cheese, lean ham, vegetables, fresh herbs.
- Fried eggs - egg yolk should not be damaged when eggs are broken. Fry in oil for about 3 minutes.
- Soft-boiled eggs, cooked for up to 5 minutes.
- Medium hard egg (cooked for about 7 minutes).
- Hard-boiled eggs (cooked for about 10 minutes).
If you prepare food according to the principles of a protein diet, you can follow these recipes.
Steamed salmon with zucchini and eggplant
- salmon fillet;
- chicken broth; butter;
Cut the zucchini and eggplant into approximately equal cubes. Fry the vegetables in butter, add pieces of fish. Season with salt, pepper, sprinkle with basil. Pour half of the broth, simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Steamed chicken breast with leeks
- chicken breast;
- chicken broth;
- lemon juice;
Cut the peeled and washed leeks into thin wheels. Put in a saucepan, cover with broth. Add a small piece of butter, cook for about 10 minutes. The chicken is cut into slices, salted, peppered, added to the leeks and cooked for another 10 minutes. Then take the meat out on a plate. Reduce the amount of leek liquid to the required amount and season with salt, pepper, lemon juice and marjoram.
Tips for improving protein performance
A protein diet requires 3 basic conditions to function properly.
Violation of these can lead to a slowing or cessation of ketosis:
- Drinking system.Drink at least 2-3 liters of odorless water, green or black tea without sugar. If you like coffee, drink it twice a day (Turkish or espresso) without milk and sugar. Decaffeinated coffee is also suitable.
- Vegetables.Eat at least 300-500 grams of allowed vegetables. They can be included in the main meal or used as a snack.
- Regular meals.Eat Hourly - The protein-slimming slimming menu includes meals with recipes (for women and men) for about a week at intervals of about 3-4 hours. The first meal should take place within 30 minutes of waking up, the last - up to 2 hours before bedtime.
It is not recommended to stick to a protein diet for a long time - it will always negatively affect your health. Please consult your dietitian before doing enough.
Quit the diet
A protein diet can help you lose weight, but only for a healthy person with clear goals. Carbohydrate deficiency is a huge burden on the body and requires it to provide other nutrients for satiety and energy. After completing your meal plan, switch to your usual diet very carefully to avoid jo-jo effects.
Be careful when returning to your usual diet. Gradually increase the amount of carbohydrates in your diet, avoid hidden sugars.
Protein diet ranking
A protein diet was popular in the 1970s and is once again dominating the effectiveness rankings (after the Atkinson diet plan). Despite its prevalence, it is not suitable for long-term compliance. Consult your doctor or dietitian before setting your diet.
Results and Feedback
The protein diet plan has received praise and negative reviews. Its supporters are mainly men, mainly athletes. It helps bodybuilders get rid of excess fat, build muscle mass. For "ordinary" people, this is a way to lose weight fast. Whether you belong to Group 1 or Group 2, get enough information in advance to eat, taking into account your state of health.